Healthy Food Guide
– Vegetables: 5 or more servings a day
– Fruits: 2-5 servings a day
– Whole grains: 6-8 servings a day – Fish and substitutes: 6-8 servings a day
– Dairy products: 2-3 servings a day –
– Healthy fat: 2 servings per meal
– Spices: As desired
Tips for healthy eating:
1. Choose mostly whole grains
2. Choose at least one dark green vegetable and one orange vegetable per day
3. For each 125 ml legume serving, count 1 serving of whole grain and 1 serving of fish and alternate.
4. When choosing dairy products, opt for 1 – 2% fat and cheese milk at the bottom of 20% fat (MG).
5. Include 5 total servings of nuts and seeds (healthy fats) or legumes (lentils and beans).
6. Limit sodium to 2000 mg daily.
What is a portion?
Vegetables: ½ cup cooked vegetables, ½ low sodium vegetable juice or 1 cup raw leafy vegetables
Fruits: 1/2 cup chopped fruit, 1 small banana, 1 small apple, 175 ml blueberries or 2 cups whole strawberries.
Whole grains: 1/3 cup of rice or pasta (cooked), 125 lentils or beans or 175 ml quinoa
Fish and Alternatives: 5-6 servings per day: 30 g (1 oz) fish, meat or chicken or 125 ml lentils or beans.
Dairy products: 250 ml milk or calcium-enriched beverage, 175 ml yogurt or 50 g cheese.
Fat: 5 ml of olive oil or avocado, 15 ml of homemade vinaigrette, 1/6 avocado, 15 ml of unsalted nuts, 10 ml of unsalted natural walnut butter.
Spices: ginger, garlic, turmeric, cinnamon, thyme, turmeric powder, basil, rosemary
DASH diet: Blais, C. et Raymond, E., What You Eat Affects Your Blood Pressure, Société québécoise d’hypertension artérielle (SQHA). SQHA website [En ligne]. https://www.hypertension.qc.ca/gestion/pdf/dash_en.pdf (page viewed on October 12, 2017)
Meal Planning for People with Diabetes: ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux, Diabète Québec [En ligne]. https://publications.msss.gouv.qc.ca/msss/fichiers/2014/14-215-01A.pdf (page viewed on October 12th, 2017)
Walnuts: their health benefits
Why speak of this walnut so often forgotten? When consuming walnuts, it is important to note a decrease in cholesterol levels.